Mountain biking is a fun adventure sport which can be done in all seasons. Whether it is sunny or raining, you can always take your bike and ride out to enjoy the thrills of the season. In Nepal, there’s never really a bad season to enjoy the thrill of mountain biking. However, you want to make sure that the weather is perfect when you’re enjoying this sport. If you are planning for a visit, read on to find out the best time to go mountain biking in Nepal.
Visit our online store at Gravity Nepal Store for all things related to mountain biking.
High Season: October – December, January – March
Low Season: April-May
Mid Season: June-September
Best Time To Go Mountain Biking in Nepal
October – December
The best time to go mountain biking in Nepal is between October and December, during Autumn till the beginning of winter. This is the time of the year when the skies are clear, you get to see spectacular views, and the weather is moderate and dry. When cycling in this season, you will require warm and weather-proof cycling ride wear as the temperature begins to drop day by day.
- Avg. Temperature: 20 – 5°C (Kathmandu)
- Rainfall: 50 – 13 mm
- Season: Autumn – early winter
- The weather is spectacular at this time of the year as the clouds clear out to make way for blue skies and views of the mountains.
- October-November is also the festive season as the nation celebrates Dashain and Tihar, the largest festival of Nepal.
- This is also the best time to go trekking, so you can combine your mountain biking trip to Nepal along with trekking
Planning a mountain biking trip to Nepal? Make sure you get the right gears at the Gravity Nepal store.
January – March
The coldest months of the season are January and February but it gets pretty warm during the day as most days are sunny, allowing for the perfect condition to go cycling. However, the days are shorter and nights can get pretty cold and can go down to 0°C during peak winter. So, make sure that you plan accordingly.
- Avg. Temperature: 18 – 0°C (Kathmandu)
- Rainfall: 8 – 20 mm
- Season: Late winter to early spring
- This is one of the peak tourist seasons in the country so popular destinations will be crowded.
- You can plan for longer trips during this season as there is less chance of rain
- As spring comes along, the mountain trails will be filled with colorful flowers and trees
Make sure that you’re prepared with the rights gears. Check out our blog on Essential Gears for Mountain Biking.
April and May is the peak summer season in Nepal. Temperatures are high and there is occasional rainfall. Although it is possible to go cycling in this season, the temperature keeps going higher, and the air becomes dustier and hazier. If you plan to go mountain biking in this season, you will have to rely on the weather forecast for a cool day with clear weather.
- Avg. Temperature: 29 – 12°C (Kathmandu)
- Rainfall: 35 – 60 mm
- Season: Spring-summer
- Although the weather gets hot and humid in this season, it is still good for riding in the high altitudes such as Mustang where there is no rain.
- This time of the year is a great time to spot wildlife in the forests and national parks of Nepal. So, you can plan for wildlife tours along with mountain biking.
- You can plan cycling day-trips in the city around the mountain biking trails in Kathmandu.
June – September
The monsoon season from June to August may not provide the most favorable conditions for mountain biking. The rain causes many tracks to get muddy and slippery. However, if you are into downhill or enduro, shredding through these challenging trails can be a thrilling and adventurous sport. July is also the time of the year when the major charity cycling event, Kora Cycling Challenge happens in Kathmandu and other major cities of Nepal. This annual cycling event encircles the outskirts of the Kathmandu valley and is a fun way to explore the cycling trails with the local cycling community.
- Avg. Temperature: 30 – 19°C (Kathmandu)
- Rainfall: 235 – 365 mm
- Season: Monsoon
- Kora Cycling Challenge happens during this season when you get to cycle around the hills of Kathmandu’s outskirts. It is also a charity event.
- Although rainy and muddy, this season can be fun for those seeking a challenge. Just make sure to maintain your bike accordingly as rain can cause significant damage to your bikes. Gravity Nepal’s workshop provides international-standard servicing and repairing for mountain bikes.
- As this is the low season, most tourist destinations will not be crowded and hotels and flights will also be cheap.
Gravity Nepal is a one-stop-shop for all things related to mountain biking. Visit the Gravity Nepal Store for high-quality and branded MTB products.